One of the first places to show the signs of aging is the eyes, regardless of age! The skin around the eye area is much thinner than that of the neighboring facial skin, in fact ten times thinner, the under eye area will reflect sleepless nights, stress, lifestyle (especially smoking) poor skin care and excessive make up laced with occlusive ingredients. Poor diet can also affect the eyes themselves, they are the window of our souls, dull lifeless or dry eyes can give the impression of exhaustion.
Facial expressions, smiling, squinting and blinking contribute to the lines that appear on the outer edge of the eyes – our ‘laughter lines’, rubbing the eye area through irritation, wearing of contact lenses, crying so on and so forth will also pile on the chances of loose skin and wrinkles. The decrease of collagen through the ageing process is another factor, puffiness due to poor elimination or allergies and of course our friend the dark circle.
The tissue around the eye area is so fine and sensitive you must be careful when choosing the correct product. Dehydrated skin would benefit from eye creams rich in anti oxidants and peptides, while puffiness under the eyes would benefit from gels.
Lash extensions also have a risk of irritation to the eyes and surrounding areas, I cannot stress how important it is to go to a reputable salon to get this done, I have seen clients who have had terrible allergies to glue and even seen lashes stuck to the under eye rim so they are literally scratching the eye with every blink! The Lash Bar in London is worth a visit, you cannot skimp or cut any corners when it comes to risks to eye health!
These are my top eye products, baring in mind some of the products are advanced skin products that are used in the professional environment, they certainly are results driven:
The MAX stem cell eye crème with Vectorize-Technology: This next generation revolutionary day and night eye crème contains high concentrations of growth-factors derived from plant stem cells to protect skin cells and prevent aging effects caused by free radical damage. Reduces the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and puffiness. Prevents cell aging with grape, alpine edelweiss and argan stem cells. Contains a corrective peptide blend for rejuvenation. Paraben free. This product is only available through practitioners but it is one of my absolute favourites to use and recommend to my clients.
TEOXANE Cosmeceuticals Advanced Filler Eyes Contour: Advanced Filler Eyes Contour is a combination of Hyaluronic Acid with Resilient Biophytex that activates the microcirculation of the skin around the eyes and gives the face a renewed fresh, youthful appearance. The exclusive Advanced Filler Eyes Contour Roll-on has an immediate effect of decreasing swelling and calming the skin. After several weeks of use, the skin around the eyes is smooth and dark circles and puffiness are reduced. The face looks rested, radiant and much younger.
Vital C hydrating eye recovery gel: A super hydrating, anti-aging eye gel with a blend of nourishing anti-oxidants and peptides that reduces the appearances of fine lines and diminishes dark circles. Paraben free.
Origins GinZing Eye Care: Nature’s clinically-proven morning-after GinZing™ eye cream helps to reduce the look of dark circles. Unsightly bags and puffiness seem less visible. And Origins proprietary complex of Caffeine from Coffee bean, Panax Ginseng, Magnolia Extract and natural optic brighteners rapidly wakes up, refreshes and restores radiance to tired eyes.
Opthalmologist tested. Good for all skin types and all ages.
COMPANY Best Eye Cream 2013
My top tips for the eyes!
- Sunglasses! protection against UV exposure is a must, apart from the obvious pigmentation risks and premature ageing, did you know that 10% of skin cancers are found on the eyelids!
- Euphrasia or Eyebright, a homeopathic remedy for any eye conditions from eye irritation, conjuntivitus, red eye etc.
- Increase in Beta Carotenes – (here is a list of top ten Beta Carotene foods) get that Nutribullet out and include plenty of carrots and Beets! Beetroot is an excellent tonic for the Kidneys that will help with dark circles (the Kidneys reflect in the under eye area)
- Reduce sugar in the diet and salt, salt especially will aid puffiness under the eyes.
- Saline drops in the eyes for eye that are dry, especially traveling or working on the computer.
- Take regular breaks from the computer, they actually dehydrate not only the skin but the eyes.
- Lightly tapping around the eye area with fingertips for a couple of minutes will increase circulation and energize the area.
- Smoking… think about stopping! or at least decreasing.
- Be aware of dragging the skin around the eye area, especially removing eye make up. Make sure you remove with gentle circular motions.
- Increase water intake
- Rest! remove phones and electrical devices from the bedroom, read a book before you sleep rather than looking at an iPad, typing on the computer or watching TV.
Don’t forget to share this page below!