Keratosis Pilaris is a very common genetic condition that affects the upper arms, thighs, back and face. Around 40% of the population are affected including children, it is a condition that is very much like hardened goosebumps on the skin that can itch and sometimes be inflamed and looks a bit like chicken skin.
Dead skin cells are usually desquemated (natural shedding) but with Keratosis Pilaris , keratin – the skins natural protein will harden and trap dead skin cells and hair along with it causing the hardened bump on the surface of the skin. It is not contagious and unfortunately not curable however it can be greatly improved with treatments and diet.
- Dry body brush, invest in a good body brush and spend 3-5 minutes brushing the skin in an upward motion always in the direction of the heart, this will exfoliate and improve lymphatics.
- Do not body brush on the face, instead look for a great enzyme mask that will gently eat dead skin cells like a Pacman. (Cosmedix Cranberry Pure Enzyme Mask is my recommendation!) A L-Lactic acid product is also fab for the skin as it will have the correct sided molecule that will fit exactly to the skins molecule and do it’s job which is to desolve the bonds that hold the skin cells together – great news for a blocked keritanised pore! Also note L-Lactic Acid is Chiral, meaning it has been purified so that it works specifically with the skins molecules so it reduces any further chance of irritation and inflammation.
- Introduce a Vitamin A product to the skin. There are many form of Vitamin A and some can cause more trauma if they are high in strength and also if used aggressively. A vitamin A product needs to be introduced over time so begin to use twice a week then introduce over the coming weeks until you use every day. Vitamin A will improve the skins texture over time by exfoliating the skin and improving collagen at the same time. BE AWARE and research what Vitamin A products you use as they can cause further irritation. Cosmedix Retinol AGP complex, allows for greater absorption into the skin plus key amino acids and powerful moisturizers to help stimulate collagen production without inflammation for noticeably improved skin texture, it does this because the retinol is encapsulated making it so much more kinder to the skin but still giving the results required.
- Avoid products that are occlusive to the skin, heavy mineral oils, petrolium or soaps. Look for ingredients to help nourish, moisturise and soften the skin, ingredients with Argon oil, Shea butter things that have a full amino acid complex.
- MRL Coll-Force will help with itching and overall skin health, HydrationDuo is another great addition as it helps with cellular repair and fascia hydration.
- Look at the diet! reduce salt in take, switch to Himalayan crystal salt, in fact not only in the diet but the salt can be used in the shower with a body oil to exfoliate.
- Increase the Omegas! KIKI’s Organic Hemp Seed Oil is unrefined and contains 75% essential fatty acids (EFAs), with the ideal ratio of a natural balanced source of omega 6 and omega 3 (3:1), and vitamin E. Omega 6 – Linolenic Acid (LA) . Using MRL Anoint is especially high GLA content it is also a wonderfully effective oil that can also be used directly on the skin.
- MRL Restore is fabulous for KP – apply twice a week on areas of concern. Hemp protein is wonderfully healing along with probiotic technology, this mask has had fabulous results is treating this skin condition.
- Avoid Apple Juice and increase Beetroot Juice. malic acid from apple juice can irritate the kidneys which can then throw out excessive uric acid in the skin which will contribute to Keratosis Pilaris. Beetroot juice is a great Kidney tonic not only keeping them happy for the skins surface but also keeping them healthy! Beetroot juice is great for endothelial health ( cardio vascular system ) but it is also rich in choline a nutrient that reduces inflammation.
- Tissue Salts are something we all have in our blood, defficiencies can bring about symptoms – Keratosis Pilaris may be caused by a deficiency in Kali Mur
- Wee! Yes you read correctly, your own urine is great to apply on these areas. Urea Therapy is amazing it treats a whole array of conditions skin, wounds and improves general health, used topically it will improve KP. Urine is 95% of water, 2.5% of urea and the remaining 2.5% is a blend of minerals, salts, hormones and enzymes. You may think that this elixir is poisonous and a waste body fluid but you could not be further from the truth, in fact stale urine will be and will increase the risk of infection. The key is to drink plenty of water and use from the mid stream – wee on a cotton pad and wipe over the area to be treated. It has been scientifically proven that, besides water, urine consists mainly of minerals, hormones and enzymes which are not harmful to the body. The body can reuse many of these amazing things, urine is simply a healthy fluid which is filtered out of the bloodstream. It is a fact that each and every one of us for at least nine months drank our own urine in the form of amniotic fluid. which was an essential contribution to the development of our bodies. This natural healing solution works because of the following:
- Kills bacteria from being very slightly acidic, it also helps to break down blogged and clogged pores by exfoliation from enzymes (remember the Pacman).
- It is abundant in essential minerals that skin cells need.
- It contains a molecule that is needed for muscular energy called Creatinine, it reduces inflammation and boosts the cells mitochondria (cells engine)
- The solution is a perfect recipe for the skin, it will feed off of the goodness of it, it is deeply healing and perfectly balanced.
Don’t despair, using the top tips will improve the skin and your not on your own. Keratosis Pilaris sufferers include Nicole Kidman, Keira Knightly, even the Rock – Dwain Johnson.